Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Isolation from Family

My daughter-in-law, Christina, and her mother-in-law, Betty.


I got an e mail from my son this morning, telling me that his grandma passed away yesterday at four in the afternoon. It is too early in the morning to call him now. This is the hardest thing about living here, being so far from loved ones at a time of need! I am just thankful that I spent a few weeks with her last summer. But I wish I could be there for my family right now. Yes, I could fly back but it would be very expensive for me to do on the spur of the moment. I also think that they have enough to do without me underfoot. All I can do is send them my loving thoughts from here. Betty had a good, long life. She was so lucky to have had family to live with the last part of it. Not many people in the States have that luxury. I think it may be more common in Mexico, out of necessity. She added much depth to the lives of those living with her and I know she is going to be missed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps I will call your son & daughter-in-law to offer my condolences & offer whatever support they might need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gayle, Thank you for writing. That is a very thoughtful gesture, do call them. Thank you. Patricia

    ReplyDelete