Saturday, June 27, 2009

Troubles in Paradise

I try to keep my blog as positive as possible. I know, there are times when I feel sorry for myself and I am depressed and lonely. But those negative feelings pass quickly in this beautiful environment. Unfortunately, I have been going through my friend Anita's heartache with her apartment. I have put photos of it on my blog in the past. It is a lovely place with views of the mountains and the lake. She loved it until the night she returned from the States and the roof leaked. I am not talking about a small leak here. The entire roof was leaking. A skylight is over her bed and she woke up with rain coming down on her face. Her bed was soaked. Her suitcase hadn't been unpacked yet and it was sitting in a huge puddle of water. Many of her clothes were ruined. I stopped by to visit with her the next morning and found her in tears. Her photos of her son were ruined. Her wet passport and traveler's checks were spread out on the bed. It was a real mess. She had to move out. Now the problem is to try to recover her two month's rent that she paid in advance and her deposit from her landlord. She asked him to a meeting for lunch yesterday to talk about it. He refused to give her any of her money back. This amounts to over a thousand dollars. He insisted that she had to move back in there. He said he would fix the roof. But he has already tried to do that several times and it still leaks. She said she wouldn't go back. It was too tramatic for her and she doesn't trust that it won't happen again. He wouldn't give an inch. So, now it looks like I am going to learn some things about the legal system in Mexico. She is going to see a Mexican lawyer next week and I will go with her. This entire experience has been extremely difficult for her. I hope I can be of some emotional support to her while she is going through this process. It is sad to see things come down to lawyers and the courts. But he isn't going to budge. He was extremely rude and disrespectful to both of us at lunch. I hope she wins this case.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to see her going through this. Is she going to see Jorge Avelar? There have been so many positive comments about him on the Chapala. com web board. His office is in Jocotepec and his office number is 387-7630055. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda. Thank you for that name. I don't think Anita has found a lawyer yet. I will give this information to her today. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, my Office number is 376-7653031. She could sue the landlord for damages and expenses incurred for moving and compensation.

    ReplyDelete