Friday, June 19, 2009

Rentals and Repairs

It is going on the third day with no water in my casita. The repair man brought me the water pump last night but it didn't work. I finally started getting water from the standing water in the fountain. When that runs out I will have to walk down to the lake with my bucket for water. But maybe it will be fixed today. He is working on it right now. I am extremely uncomfortable with my dirty dishes all over the place. I have been showering at the pool. Anita and I looked at apartments yesterday. Even though this is the low season, prices are high. We looked at two apartments across the street from where I am living. Small places and the rents were a thousand dollars a month and fourteen hundred a month. We found a couple of cheaper ones in a beautiful garden and they were more reasonable, six hundred and fifty dollars a month and four fifty but no furniture. The manager told us he could find furniture but he neglected to mention that the rental price would increase by three hundred dollars a month..... So, we are both kind of discouraged right now. Now I am thinking that I may have been misleading people all along by telling them that it is cheap to live here. Not with the rental prices I have been seeing.....

4 comments:

  1. patricia: you need to look outside ajijic (the gringo ghetto). prices are much lower in chapala, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know that. I lived in Chapala for the first four months I was here. But I couldn't go out at night. The buses stop running into Ajijic early in the evening. So this expensive Ajijic neighborhood is where I want to live. I can walk to the restaurants where there is live music. I can continue to stay where I am for now... I don't dislike Chapala. I just like living in Ajijic and visiting Chapala. P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read several discussions wherein when times are not so good Mexicans raise the price,strange but aparently it is so.Do you think it applys here?

    I love your blog post & pics,such a great glimpse into a daily life,I feel like I walk thru your neighborhood.Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peachland, Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you writing to me. Patricia

    ReplyDelete