Thursday, June 25, 2009

Music and Dancing at La Bodega

The above photo is of Carlos and his son Carlitos Alvarez. They played and sang for us last night at La Bodega. Carlos asked us for requests and when we told him names of several Mexican songs, he was surprised. He wasn't expecting Gringas to know so much about Mexican songs. We didn't tell him why.



My friend Anita took the two above photos of me. The second one is blurry but I wanted to show off the beautiful top I bought yesterday at the Wednesday market. It is all embroidered. It is light cotton and slips over my head. It works great to keep the mosquitoes off. There are lots of them now because of the rain. I bought this at Anita's stall. (This is not the same Anita as my friend.) She sells used clothing to help pay for her animal shelter. I only paid fifty pesos for it, less than five dollars.....


The above photo and the two photos below are a group called Los Lirios. They play at La Bodega every Tuesday evening. During the performance the electricity went out. The waiters brought out candles for our tables and they kept on playing. What a treat with the beautiful flute and stringed instruments. Very romantic.





The above two photos are of the garden at La Bodega.


This bird is living in the back of the garden at La Bodega. I have been spending a lot of time at La Bodega lately. I have the Latin dance class there on Wednesdays at eleven in the morning and I often go there again in the evenings to listen to live music. Now that my friend Anita is back, I am going out at night again. I am such a homebody. If left alone I would be perfectly content just to stay home every night and read or watch videos. I am glad to have someone to get me to go out and enjoy the wonderful music here. There is live music at La Bodega every night that they are open. Saturdays are the big nights when people come in all dressed up and ready to party. I find that a little overwhelming. I prefer the off nights when there are just a few of us in the club and we can dress casually and talk to each other and the waiters and the owners. They are all friendly and when it isn't busy they will sit around with us and joke or practice the dance steps. I like all of them and I feel like family now when I step in the door. I have been thinking a lot lately about my housesitting idea. I love living a block away from La Bodega. Without a car I wouldn't be able to go there if I were to housesit in another neighborhood. I love my little casita and Chico and my garden.... So, I really don't care about leaving here. I am happy where I am now. This is my place!

No comments:

Post a Comment