Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day in Chapala and Ajijic

This painting on a slab of cement is on the beach in Ajijic.


The above photo was taken at the Hotel Real de Chapala. I was waiting for the Mariachi singers and I walked out to the water. This is a photo of part of the Yacht Club.


I like the above photo blown up larger. It captures my feelings on this Mother's Day. No matter how many people are around, that feeling of being alone doesn't go away when family is disconnected. Like this Crane, I stand alone and gaze out to the infinite. God is ever present.
The above photo was taken by the water at the Hotel Real de Chapala.

Chito is always the first Mariachi member to arrive, even though he has further to go and rides the bus. The others live just a few blocks away but always come later. I hope I captured the love and respect he shows towards his violin as he is opening his case. Maybe it is one that he made. I know he makes violins and harps and other stringed instruments. I didn't stay and listen to the music today. Because it was Mother's Day there was no place for me to sit. People were all out with their families. I felt too out of place to stay anyway. I went home and took a walk along the water with Chico. That cheered me up.

This little boy was sitting behind me on the bus.

The two above photos are of the American Legion in Chapala. I had a hot dog there today with my friend Don. Not many people attended. It is the low season here. Or maybe they went to fancy restaurants for Mother's Day. Or maybe they were afraid of leaving their houses because of the flu scare. Who knows.

The two above photos were taken in the Plaza in Chapala.

My friend Don in the Plaza. Jesus is watching over him. Don just doesn't know it yet.







I like to see men making flower arrangements and appreciating the beauty of flowers. It brings out their gentleness.






The motel where Don lives. This is the first place I lived when I came to Chapala. I stayed there for four months. It is only half a block from the Chapala Plaza. It is inexpensive, clean and safe.

Above are candied yams. They are delicious. The bees love them too. I have never seen so many people out and about at the Chapala Plaza. Mother's Day is one of their biggest holidays. There were so many people on the plaza it was hard to walk around. I loved all the beautiful flowers and the sense of excitement. People were buying flowers for their mothers and wives. A very special day. Made me feel kind of lonely as my son is so far away.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia: what is the name of the hotel Don lives in now, and you had previously stayed? with thanks Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, Thank you for writing. I went through all my posts to find that information. (An interesting look back through this past year.) I found the post but unfortunately it looks like Beto, the owner of the hotel, may have left out some numbers. It is 01 376 57087. Try it and if it doesn't work I will check with Don and see if he can get it for you. Beto isn't around much. He is a busy man. A very nice man. I don't know the name of the hotel either. Don't think I ever noticed a sign out front. It is easy to find. Just half a block up from the plaza and a life size cow and/or horse at the vets next door. Let me know if this isn't the number. P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia; This was my first attempt at sending a comment, so I'm glad it went through. I found your blog by chance last week, I get up eagerly every morning to check it. Lake Chapala is an area I'm interested in for retirement/wintering south, but was unsure that as a single mature woman it was something I could do. I don't drive, live alone, and live on a modest income (less is more),so it's great to see another woman who is able to do it. You have given me more information on your blog about living small in Chapala that anything I can find out there. With thanks, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, Thank you for writing. I am glad my blog has been helpful to you. When you get ready to check this place out please let me know and I will do what I can to help you. It is wonderful here. There are many single women here. Lots of things to do. It costs me half what I spend to live in the States. I can't say enough good things about this place. That is why I have this blog. P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the picture of the man in the white hat carrying the long stemmed white flowers. He looks like a lovable grandpa.

    ReplyDelete