Friday, November 20, 2009

Mariachi Performance at the Real De Chapala



I wonder if this bird thought the pipe was another bird. It stood there a very long time and from a distance I thought the pipe was another very passive bird.


I got there early and took the photos of the sunset. I wanted to get a front row seat, which I did. The musicians came right next to where I was sitting. Too bad my camera doesn't take good photos at night.



The first person out to dance was this young man. He was full of energy and got others out dancing too.



Now I understand why those boys on the street were practicing rope tricks. It is an exciting thing to watch.



This man out with the mariachis was drunk. He was dancing and singing with them. He was having fun and no one made him leave, even though he almost ran into the singer at various times. Mexicans are generally very tolerant.



After the performance, people got out and danced. They continued to play another half an hour for people who were dancing. What a wonderful night. It was well worth the twenty dollars that it cost me and I was able to walk home. The hotel is two blocks from my house. I was there from six in the evening until almost midnight and I enjoyed every minute of it. This was a fund raiser for the Catholic Church.

The last group, the men, were billed as "The best mariachis in Mexico." Maybe they won the contest in Guadalajara. But I certainly agree with the label. They were the best. There were fourteen of them and every one was an excellent musician. I managed to get a card from them before they left. Mariachi Nuevo Tecalitlan de Fernando Martinez Representative Angel Martinez Telephone: 0133 36447912 contacto2mariachinuevotealitlan.com www.mariachinuevotecalitlan.com They are on You Tube. They are playing one piece that is more like classical music than the traditional mariachi stuff. It is great.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a card from the wonderful women mariachis so I have no information on them. If I manage to find anything out, I will put it online at a later date. It was a memorable night for me and I am so glad I decided to go even though I had no one to go with me. I even got out and danced alone. Everyone was friendly. I felt right at home.

4 comments:

  1. wow, what a fantastic Friday night there! glad you got out, heard great music, and ... danced! yay! I have a cd of the all-women mariachi which I will pull out & play tonight in your honor. We'll see if it's the same group or not; there must be more than one by now? signed, freezing in Portland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Gayle, SEE WHAT YOU ARE MISSING BY NOT BEING HERE. PATRICIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you are making me laugh - I love your moxy as well as the challenge! Well, yes, I KNOW what I'm missing but .. hey, only ONE MORE YEAR to go before I get there, hopefully less. So many loose ends to tie up here...PS: Hope you take some photos of the lovely place w/heated pool! Also, of your friend Claire's place? Signed, greedy for photos in Portland...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gayle, I will ask Clare if she will let me put photos of her place on the blog. I don't put on photos of the places where I am house sitting for the sake of the owner's privacy. Trust me, it is beautiful. Patricia

    ReplyDelete