Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Altars in Chapala for the Day of the Dead

One street was closed down to cars for a few blocks. I didn't go at night but I did once and it is crowded then.

The above alter must have been made by children. There are many miniature alters in it.





Stuff for washing for the dead before they eat the fragrance of the food on the alters.




I was looking forward to taking photos of all the alters and my camera battery went dead. Then I realized how addicted I am to putting photos on my blog. My friend said I should ask someone with a camera to send me some. I met a man with a nice camera and he said he would forward them to me. He is traveling all over Mexico taking photos and will put them in a book at the end of a year.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice shots. I especially like the one of the woman in black w/black eye makeup. I might have done the same... I love your 'people' shots the best. And/or the length of the street, the general ambiance, etc. Very 'true to life' of the areas.

    Tried to post this from my office today, but apparently my office computer didn't want to comply.

    I did contact my friends in Oaxaca & turned them on to your blog - I'm sure you may find some comments from Tom & Rebecca shortly. Talk to you manana ... Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gayle, Thank you. I think that woman must be in all the photos people took that day. She was so interesting and beautiful and scary, all at the same time. Youth and death. I will have more photos to post on later, nice ones from a man I met there. He is doing a travel book of Mexico. Patricia

    ReplyDelete