Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How I Discovered the Lake Chapala Area

Someone asked me why I came to live here and how I discovered this area. Also my top ten reasons for living here. I am going to try not to make this post too long. I could easily write forever about all the things I love about this place. ( That is why I keep this blog, as a diary for myself and others. A friend asked me why I spend so much time doing a blog. What did I get out of it? I guess it is a continuous thank you note to God for all my blessings here and an affirmation to the world that life can be good.)

I was going down to San Blas in the winters. I suffer from SAD and I have to be in the sun in the winter. I also love the beach. I tried to stay there longer than the winter time but it gets very hot starting in late March or April. It is also extremely buggy, Jejenes, which are no-see-ums. They will eat you alive. No watching the sunrises or sunsets on the beaches.

I had a thyroid procedure in Guadalajara. I had to take radioactive iodine and to sit in a hotel room for six days while I was radioactive. A year later I wanted to see the same doctor so I looked up this lake area. It is just a short bus ride from Guadalajara. I saw that the weather is nicer than in San Blas and I wanted my son and daughter-in-law to visit me in Mexico. My son doesn't like hot weather. He refused to visit the beaches here.

My son had never been to Mexico. I didn't see him often because he hated the small town where I lived. So I took the chance and flew to Guadalajara and took the taxi up to the lake. I found an inexpensive motel near the plaza in Chapala and stayed through the winter. I loved it! That was almost two years ago. I have been back to the States several times and my son and daughter-in-law have come to visit me here several times. I see them far more than I ever did in the States. We have wonderful vacations together. I have been to a few other places in Mexico. None of them impressed me with the beauty and ease of living as here. On my next post I will tell you my list of the first ten reasons why I love it here. (I have to see the dentist this morning and I may not feel like writing until later in the day.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,

    I've been following your blog for a few months now. I am really yearning to retire in a place like LC. I am 43, but would love to be able to move sooner than later but am not quite there financially. I am also a single woman with 2 teens 18 and 21. My question for you is how were you able to afford to retire? I do not know your background but assume you must of had a corporate job and some sort of 401k. Red Bluff is relatively affordable, compared to other places in CA, I'm from Santa Cruz and have moved to MI to save for retirement. Anyway, I really appreciate your efforts as it gives me hope...Thank you....Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea, Thank you for following my blog and writing to me. I don't have much money. I lived in Santa Cruz for many years. I raised my son there and finally it got too expensive for me. I have no retirement except a little social security. I own an old house in McKinleyville and the rent makes it possible for me to live here. But I am extremely careful with my money! It is much cheaper to live here than in the States. I can't afford to live there. Hope this helps. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia. Thank you for your posts which have at least given me an immense knowledge. I am from India and I am thinking of making Chapala as my second home . I want to know if I can start a small cafe or shop of handicrafts if I go for a resident visa which I am thinking. I am fifty years old and my two sons are studying in states. Thank you love. Shruti

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Shruti, Thank you for writing. I do not know the rules here about starting a business. But I think you can do it with a resident visa. Sorry I have never tried to do that. p

    ReplyDelete