Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Afternoon at the Lake Chapala Society

I worked at the membership desk today at the Lake Chapala Society. We don't get much business these days because it is too late in the year. Most people have already joined. People stop by just to talk.

Today almost everyone I met was from Canada. Guess the cold has driven them south. Everyone was relaxed and friendly. I enjoy my time at the desk although I am still not well. I will probably spend the rest of the day relaxing in my garden with Chico. I got some good books at the library. I love to read and this is the only place I know of in Mexico that has such a large English Language library. That is the main reason I joined the LCS. Plus they have a large video library too.

I overheard two men talking at the outside cafe where my table was set up. One man said to the other, What is an expatriate? A man across the room said, An expatriate is a rebel. The other man asked, Is he wealthy? And the second man laughed. No, he can be dirt poor. It just means that he has given up his own country. The first man said, It seems to me that most of the expatriates here are artists, or want-to-be artists, liberals. I don't know if he was meaning that was a good thing or a bad thing. I think he was just stating a fact as he saw it.

Everytime I go back to the States my best friend says I am insufferable for the first month. She says all I talk about is how much nicer it is in Ajijic than in the States. Maybe my mobile home will sell soon and I can become an expatriate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment