Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Diaries, Blogs, Novels, Cell Phones, Television, E Mail, etc.

My blog is starting to get longer now. I am thinking about the differences between reading and writing a novel and a blog. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I spent a few years writing a novel which no one liked. It was quite a disappointment. Only five people read it and two agents. Only one person had anything positive to say about it. It is hidden away in a box somewhere in the States. But now people are reading my blog every day. So far I haven't gotten negative responses.

A novel starts at the beginning and tells a story. A blog starts at the end and is just fleeting images of a day. In order to see the continuity you have to read backwards, from the first post to the last and who has time to do that? We usually read the last post and maybe skim down to a few others.

I think in many ways a blog is more like life than a written story. We meet people in the present. Their pasts are hidden from us except by how they have been affected by their experiences. But initially we know nothing of those experiences. We only see the result of them, the person before us.

Rarely do we get to know the depth of a person that we know from a book. We just don't have the time, unless the person is a loved one. Even then, we can never know everything about another person.

Most of the time we have to settle for glimpses into the lives of others. I think a blog is more like the way we know people. Brief interactions. Most visitors to a blog only stay on for a minute or two. We have to skim the surface because we have so much input these days. Blogs, e mail, facebook, cell phones, television....... We all are connected in one way or another but our connections are mostly on the surface.

Sometimes I think we need more depth with people. I need it. That is why I am willing to share with you my inner feelings. I want you to see my humanity, the good parts of me and the not so good. You might not think this is appropriate but this is a Diary......... If you don't like those things in my blog , well pass over them and just look at the photos. I am here alone in Mexico and I want to make connections with people. I want to share my life with you. This is not a travel site. It is a Diary. I always appreciate people writing to me. Makes me know that I am reaching others. I am grateful for every e mail I receive. As much as I am willing to share my life with you, I would like to know about you and your life..... patricia

7 comments:

  1. Patricia, after linking to your blog through a news article about house sitting abroad, I have been logging in daily just to see your beautiful pictures and read your thoughtful, calming words. I am 10 years younger than you and I can see myself living your life in the future. Good luck and best wishes.

    Sue
    Ventura County, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, Thenk you for your compliment and for taking the time to write to me. I hope you will take some trips here before long. No need to wait until you retire to have some fun vacations. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, Looks like I can't change a typing error once it is published so I will THANK YOU again, this time with the right spelling. One of these days I will have these things figured out. Patricia Your e mail deserves two thank yous anyway, even if the first one is mispelled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are beautiful, but I agree with Sue - sharing your day and your thoughts makes this a blog I look forward to reading. I hope you will tune in on my blog as well. We have not that much in common - our marital status, time in life, country, lifestyle are all different, but reading about your life fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue. As soon as I get a better camera and get to downloading quicker I will have the time to read other blogs. Right now it seems like I spend half my day waiting to download photos onto this site. I am looking forward to more time. patricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - I am that rare person you alluded to in this entry....the one with time to go back to the beginning and read forward. I was wondering how you first felt/thought of Ajijic when you first moved there, so I decided to start back with your first entry. I still have not cancelled our flights to Ajijic this summer, or notified the realtor that we are not coming. I keep hoping that somehow things will be better......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Pat, I am flattered. Thank you for taking my blog that seriously. I wouldn't even bother to go back to the beginning to read it. Maybe things will get better here now. Glad you are coming down. P

      Delete