Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Drug Wars in Mexico

I hate to bring this up but it is all over the news; the drug wars here. Awful stuff is happening. It isn't going on in the Lakeside area, Thank God. But I have no inclination to travel around Mexico right now. It is hard to read about the disregard for human lives in these wars. My friend from the States is coming here next week with two of her women friends. She said they want to rent a car, drive to Mexico City and hike up a Pyramid. I said I thought that was a bad idea now.

I heard that Hillary Cllinton will be in Guadalajara for a visit soon. Maybe it has something to do with these wars. Please don't let these things scare you away from the Lake Chapala Area. I feel safer here than in any town I have visited in the States.

5 comments:

  1. I am planning on retiring in the Lakeside area next spring so I am really enjoying your superb blog. The pictures are terrific and much appreciated addition to the writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have read about the drug-related brutalities, i have wondered if it was everywhere, widespread, or just in certain areas. It sounds as though you have given your friend good advice. I'll pray for your safety, both there and when you travel.

    Twice I worked in Miami during times when riots and violence were going on. The news coverage made it seem like the whole of Miami was engulfed in riots and looting, but the actual area was just a few blocks - dangerous for those who lived there, but relatively safe for the many square miles elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for writing. Sue, it is always a pleasure to hear from you. I agree about the newspapers. They make money from sensationalism. patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. In tough economic times crime and violence always seem to increase. Mexico is no exception. Where I live, in Nevada, lots of Mexican workers lost their jobs and had to return to Mexico. It's a difficult time.

    I'm enjoying your blog Patricia. In answer to your question: If you click the "customize" button in the upper right hand corner of your blog and then click "add a gadget", you'll find a list of things that you can add to your blog, including a blogroll gadget which lets you add other folks blogs to your blog. This is how I added you to my blog. Hope this helps.

    Keith
    Mesquite, Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Keith. I hope I figured it out. Patricia

    ReplyDelete