Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sharing Good Fortune

Yesterday I had so many e mails that it took me all evening just to answer them. My site went from a hundred hits a day to almost two thousand, in one day. Wow! I was impressed. A friend called me and I told him about all the e mails and hits on my blog. His fearful answer was, No! Don't tell people about this place...... He wanted to save it for himself. He didn't like what I was doing, promoting Mexico and especially the Lake Chapala area. He said, Send them to Guadalajara. Don't say anything about Lake Chapala.

I remember when I was living in Santa Cruz, California in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Many people had those thoughts. Now that I am here, don't tell anyone else. We don't want the place ruined by a lot of people coming in here. That feels extremely self centered to me. And you can't stop change. People are going to come, like it or not. I heard from someone, I can't remember the source, that the expectation is of a hundred thousand new people moving to this area in the next five to ten years. That is a lot of people. Now I see why Walmart built such a monster store. They are expecting that influx.

If I had the money, I would buy a home here. I didn't have the money when I lived in Santa Cruz and I saw what happened to property values through the years. I could have bought a beachfront home for forty thousand dollars but I didn't have it. I bet that house is worth eight hundred thousand now. But I had fun living there and raising my son there. What more could I ask? To be rich? You can't take it with you. All we really have are our experiences and memories anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment