Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mexican Plazas

The Plaza is the center of social life in Mexico. I have never been to a town here, no matter how small, that doesn't have a plaza. They are interesting and exciting, especially in the evenings when families and single people come out to socialize. In the larger towns, the plazas are always bustling. People have stands set up to sell crafts and food. I lived near the Chapala Plaza when I came down here the first time, in a motel room that cost me less than two hundred dollars a month. If I felt lonely, all I had to do was walk the half block to the plaza and sit on one of the many benches. Before long someone would sit next to me and start up a conversation. Since I don't speak much Spanish, it was usually an American.

On Sunday evenings a local band plays in the Chapala Plaza. Quite a few people show up to listen to them. When holidays come around there are always performances and more food stands are created for the audiences. Children running around, jumping off the stage before the performances, young people flirting, it is exciting to watch. I have never felt any threat out at night here. It is good to be able to walk the streets without worrying. I feel safe here. I am never bored as long as there is a plaza near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment