Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Chapala Plaza






















Tuesday, Jan. 20th. Inauguration Day. I watched TV all morning, witnessing the crowds of people to see the Inauguration. Amazing and inspiring. I only hope that Obama will be able to make the changes he has promised. But I don’t talk about politics or religion. I don’t like to get into controversy with anyone. I like photographing my life here in Mexico. I only mention this because it is of such enormous importance that I would be crazy not to mention it. I hope things will get better up in the States now.

These photos are of Chapala. I went there to take my friend out to lunch for her birthday. She won’t tell me her age but I am guessing early 80s ….. I admire her for making that long trip down. It is difficult for her to cross the street, let alone coming on the plane and through customs with her dog. We ate at an outdoor restaurant at the side of the plaza, Jose’s. It is one of the most popular gathering places for the Americans in Chapala. I see the same people sitting there for coffee every time I go to there.

I also took a photo of one of the dogs at the plaza, and of the main street, the meat market in the plaza and the motel where I stayed for four months when I first came to this area. The rooms are around two hundred dollars a month. They are clean. There is cable TV and it is only half a block from the Plaza. The owner speaks English and he is very helpful, Beto is his name. If you want to find it, just look for the life size cow and horse. If you want to call from the States the number is 01 376 57087.

It was a good day. I like Chapala as much as Ajijic. They have different atmospheres. Like any place, people get attached to one or the other for their own personal reasons. I like sleeping in Ajijic because it is quieter and I like visiting Chapala because there are more Mexicans in the Plaza.









5 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia, Thank you for sharing your experience! I am looking at getting into housesitting and wondered if you used a company to find this place. There are a few out there so I am just curious. I hope to be doing what you are doing for the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not use an agent. For me, it worked better through meeting people. After your first job, you can get references. People usually don't like to hire strangers. So it is very important to meet people. I think it is best to go to the place where you want to live and look for a position from there. It is harder to do it if you don't live there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your posting!
    take care !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia, Thank you for sharing your information! I just signed up for caretaker gazette to see what happens. My problem is I don't know where I want to live and would like to explore different areas. Again, thank you for your blog with your experiences. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. Also try Housesit Mexico...The problem with these sites is that you have to pay. And there are usually far more people wanting to house sit than there are houses to sit....I think it is best to find work by word of mouth. Go to the place where you want to house sit. Get to know people and try to get your first job. Then people will trust you.

    ReplyDelete