Saturday, January 3, 2009

Doctors and hospitals in Mexico


I walked around with a bad knee for fourteen months. Partly because I have no health insurance and also because I hate to see doctors. I hate the way the doctors in the States treat their patients. They are so impersonal and cold. But I finally had to give in and see a doctor. I was sent to get an MRI in Guadalajara. That cost me three hundred dollars. The technicians were respectful and polite. I didn't mind it at all. Then I saw the surgeon in Ajijic, Dr. Gomez. I have nothing but good things to say about him. He is respectful, competent, good natured, and affordable. Good looking too.

He immediately scheduled me for surgery to be done in a Guadalajara hospital two days later. He met me at the front of the hospital, Hospital Country 2000. Everyone there was kind. The surgery happened quickly. No massive paper work as is demanded in the States. Dr Gomez was waiting for me when I came out of the recovery room. I paid cash. The total bill was around two thousand dollars. I can only imagine the cost of the same surgery in the States. I had a torn meniscus and disintegrating cartilage. The hospital staff called the taxi for me and I was driven back to my home in Ajijic.

The follow up care has been excellent. I have nothing but good things to say about the doctors and hospitals here. Dr. Leon is in the same office as Dr. Gomez. He is a general practitioner. He is excellent. Another handsome man. It is almost embrassing, listening to the way some of the elderly American women flirt with these doctors while they wait their turn. But if you have to go to the doctor, it is an added bonus to see a handsome one......

Hospital Country 2000
Dr. Gerardo A. Leon Leon's email: groupomedicorealdeleon@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment