Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mariachi Women at La Bodega Restaurant

Okay so I slipped on some cobblestones, slid part way across my lawn, slammed my head into my cement house and fractured my wrist in two places. That didn't stop me from walking the two blocks to the local restaurant and watching the all women Mariachi band from Guadalajara. I had been looking forward to their performance for weeks.

I sat at the bar and ordered a margaretta. The bartender introduced himself to me. He stood close behind me for a few songs. It took me quite awhile, but I finally realized that he was flirting with me. He couldn't be over 45 at the most. Handsome Mexican man. Nice smile. He asked me where I live and when I told him, he asked if I live alone. I said, Yes. Then he asked, Why do you live alone? He seemed genuinely concerned. I have noticed that many Mexicans don't understand the concept of living alone. To them, living alone is a hardship.

He told me that he liked to sing. He sings at the Monday night karaoke....I'll be there next Monday. It is nice to get attention from a handsome man. Who cares if he is twenty years younger than I am? See my post on single people........

I love Mariachi music. It is full of life. All that energy......seven women in the band and when they all sang and played together, the house rocked. All the older couples were up dancing. There is no way I would venture out onto the dance floor. I would look like an idiot compared to them. I see many of the same couples every time I go there. I call them professionals. One man even brings special dancing shoes, leather soles.

I like living close to the La Bodega. It is just two blocks from my house and now the waiters know my name. I am a local. I belong, even though I can't sing or dance. I am part of their community. This kind of experience isn't possible when you don't stay in one place for very long. I feel safe here too. I don't worry about walking home alone at night. Sometimes the music is so loud, all I have to do is sit in my yard and listen to it. If you don't like loud music or loud noise, don't even think about living in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment