Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Boston Deli near my house


I have been sitting at the computer for most of the day. Once I get started writing posts I have a hard time quitting. I finally decided to walk up to the grocery store to get some food. A friend told me about a deli that has only been open a few months. He said it is delicious food. It is in a large open area above the grocery store and next to the movie theater. Last time I tried it, the woman said she was all out of food. She said she had made over a hundred sandwiches that day. She looked tired. But she was friendly.
I got lucky today. She still had food left. I got two large pieces of fried Halibut plus rice with veggies in it and carrots, broccoli and french bread. All for 35 pesos. She still had Filet Mignon left and Shrimps. She only charges 35 pesos for those meals too. No wonder she runs out of food quickly. After she cooked and served me the meal she sat down with me. She told me she had lived in the States for sixteen years, in many of the towns where I have lived. Her name is Gigi. She is probably in her 60's. We didn't talk long because she had work to do. I saw a man about her age inside cleaning. Probably her husband.

I know I will make many more trips up there for my meals. An American man talked with me for a couple of minutes. He said, This is a bad location... Who cares. Bad location, delicious, inexpensive food. Can't go wrong. She stays open until she runs out of food, which is usually around two or three in the afternoon. She is closed on Sundays and Mondays. Maybe next time I will take in a movie. They usually have one movie in English. I think the cost is 25 pesos, around two dollars. It is a comfortable theater. I have only gone once. Not much fun to sit in a movie theater alone, no matter how good the movie.
After eating, I went to the grocery store for milk. As I was walking out, a young woman handed me a sample of Tequilla. Nothing like a shot of Tequilla to finish off a great meal. I walked home, ready to get back on this computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment