Monday, September 17, 2012

Craving Healthy Foods

I was going to take a photo of my favorite vegetable these days but I ate it all last night. OKRA. When I was a little girl I HATED okra. I used to gag when my mother made me eat it. But now I can't get enough of it. Now that I am eating healthy foods my body is craving the things that are good for me instead of the things that are bad for me. If you are interested in the health benefits of Okra check out the site Okarahealthbenefits.org. There are so many good things about it. It is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. This site calls it one of the healthiest foods.  I had two huge helpings of it last night. I have it fried for breakfast in the morning with eggs. I used to eat eggs and bacon. Now my staple is eggs and okra.  I like to snack on it too. I put in different spices to make changes.

When it is fried it isn't slimy. The slimy part is what I hated as a kid. But I read that the slimy part is what is great for the stomach lining.  It doesn't bother me now. I just love the taste of okra. I have to be careful not to overdo it because my pattern is to eat something I love until I can't stand the sight of it. I don't want to burn out on okra. My favorite food at the moment. Try it.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi - I like okra too, but rarely eat it anymore. When I was a kid, my mother battered it & fried it; or fixed it stewed with a tomato sauce. Have you ever tried it pickled? Here is a link to the brand: http://www.talkotexas.com/ El Torito might have it - they have SO much U.S. stuff.
    Keep eating healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Pat, I didn't see it at El Torito. Possibly Superlake would have it but I am sure it would be very expensive. Thanks for the tip. P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes thay have it pickled here in NC as well
    I like that but "def" don't like it when it is slimy..........LOL

    Take Care
    Collette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Collette, I am going to have to see if I can find it pickled. Thanks for commenting. P

      Delete