Wednesday, December 16, 2009

West Ajijic, Farms and Gated Communities











Yesterday I went out to see the house where I will be staying for a week with my family. My son and his wife and her sister and her sister's husband will be arriving on Sunday. I am going kind of crazy, trying to get everything organized. It is hard to do without a car. I need to buy lots of food today at the Weds. market. Unfortunately, it is raining. Just my luck.

You can see that West Ajijic is a mixture of expensive homes and farms and poorer homes, all jumbled together. It is interesting. We will be staying in a beautiful home in a gated community and it has a heated pool. What more could I ask for?

I took the local bus back to my place. I love taking the local buses because they remind me that I am living in Mexico. Since I live in an upscale neighborhood, sometimes I am disconnected from that reality. I love to hear the ranchero music playing on the buses or blasting out from cars. And I don't even like ranchero music. I just like to be reminded that I am in Mexico.

I remember when I lived in San Blas, after I returned to the States, certain things triggered my memories of San Blas and I would instantly be there in my heart. One of the things was the strong smell of garbage or the sewer because there were a lot of those smells in San Blas. But I loved it there. So the bad smells triggered good feelings. Emotions are strange. They can't be controlled. They just come upon us. The smells of garbage and open sewers bringing good memories? Crazy. But there it is........

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I paid a half-day visit to Ajijic last month. I remember it from my years living in Guadalajara as a teen (1956-60). After my dad died, my mom moved us to Mexico because dad's $256/month social security was more than enough to live on. Mom was very adventurous to drive from LA to GDL with two young kids (and our cat!) in 1956, but she made it work. Best thing that ever happened to me. You must be pretty adventurous, also, being single and living in Mexico. Clearly, you love being there. Is it OK if I link to your blog from mine (I just started it last week - www.dbl-exposure.blogspot.com)? It chronicles my years living in and going to school in Mexico. Thanx, and let me know. I'll be back to read more of your blog.

    Dave Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Dave, Thank you for that interesting note. Yes, please link to mine and I will try to figure out how to do it for yours. My son usually does this for me and he will be here tomorrow. I am so looking forward to his visit. I will check out your blog in the meantime. Thank you. Patricia

    ReplyDelete