Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ajijic Plaza at Night



These children were beaming when I took their photos. It always makes me happy to photograph children and then show them the photos. They love it. I wish adults could be so easily pleased, myself included.

The bandstand in the plaza at night.



Children trying to hit the pinata. This is on one of the side streets. My family came in two nights ago and they were ready for action. So we took the bus to the plaza. We bought lots of sodas and a huge bag of ice to bring back to the house. We needed a taxi. What a comedy of errors. I asked the taxi driver at the plaza what he would charge us to come out here. It isn't far from downtown Ajijic. He said 120 pesos. I thought that was too much. It only costs 60 pesos to come here from downtown Chapala.

I got huffy and we walked up to the main street. We tried to flag another taxi and he went on past us. Meanwhile the bags were getting heavy and the ice was melting. Another car came by and a man yelled out the window, Taxi.... He had seen us trying to flag the other one. I was excited. I ran to his car. It wasn't yellow but there are taxis here that aren't yellow and have no signs on them. I got in the car and he asked me where in Spanish. I looked over at him. He was a very young man. He was wearing a tank top and smelling of beer. All of a sudden I freaked. Maybe he wasn't a taxi. He was just a young man trying to pick me up. I jumped out of the car. Then I trudged down to the other taxi. I tried to offer him 75 pesos for the ride but he refused. So I agreed on his high price and we went up to get my son and daughter-in-law. When we got to my house the taxi man realized how close it was from the plaza and lowered his price by half. That was our first evening together. I am so happy to be with them. I am also glad I jumped out of that first car. Who knows how the evening might have turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment