Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Monday in Chapala


The Lirios plants are taking over the lake in the Chapala area too.





I took the above photo in the area where the stalls are by the lake in Chapala. You can see how crowded it was over the week end. Some kind of three day holiday. I can't keep up with all the holidays here.




One young girl was brave, or foolish, enough to swim among all the Lirios.
They are trying to get rid of the Lirios by shoveling it into a truck. Seems like a losing occupation. There are so many plants and they grow rapidly. One week there are no plants and the next week the lake is full of them. Someone told me that the plant was imported here by a man from England. He thought it was beautiful. Too bad the plant just took over. I bet those poor men shoveling up with all the plants would curse that man if he were were still alive and around to see what he started.










I had a good time in Chapala on Monday. It was like one huge party. Many families were out, enjoying their three day week end. The weather was beautiful. I took a lot of photos.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the Lirios is the same as the Water Hyacinth here. It is an invasive non-native that chokes lakes in out area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K-Sue, I bet it is the same stuff. These plants bloom in a purple/blue color. I have a photo of one of the flowers on a post. I haven't seen any other colors but there may be others. Mostly they aren't blooming, just growing like mad. Here in Ajijic they were blown further out into the lake. I took a photo of it and will post it later on today. Thank you for writing. Patricia

    ReplyDelete