Friday, October 30, 2009

A Quote for My Friend Peggy

I am reading a wonderful book titled A Three Dog Life a memoir by Abigail Thomas. This is a quote from it. This is for you Peggy. I think you will appreciate it.

"Twenty years ago I asked a friend if he felt (as I did) a kind of chronic longing, a longing I wanted to identify. "Of course," he answered. We were having lunch by the pond at 59th Street, watching the ducks. The sun was out, the grass was thick and green, the ducks paddled around in the not very blue pond. I was between lives. "What is it?" I asked. What is it we are longing for?" He thought a minute and said, "There isn't any it. There is just the longing for it." This sounded exactly right. Years later and a little wiser, I know what the longing was for: here is where I belong."

No comments:

Post a Comment