Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Learning a Trade in Mexico

I have watched many Mexican men and women training their sons and daughters while they are working. Last Sunday I watched the Mariachi playing his trumpet next to his young son. At ten years old, the son was doing a fairly good job with his own trumpet. I have watched the waiter at La Nueva Posada teaching his son during hours that weren't too busy. I see women teaching their daughters how to run their outdoor markets on Wednesdays. I suspect that most jobs here are inherited, passing from father to son and mother to daughter. It seems like a nice way to do things. The families get to spend more time together that way. There becomes an even stronger tie between them.

Family ties are strong here. Often after the children grow up they continue to live with their parents for many years. They often have children and return to their families. Or maybe they never even leave the families and have children. I know a Mexican musician here who is supporting eleven people in his household. Musicians don't make much money. This seems to be a common theme. They must eat a lot of beans, rice and tortillas. Otherwise, I don't know how they can survive. I have great respect for these parents and grandparents. Retirement only comes to them after many years of struggle. At that point it becomes the job of their long supported children to take care of them. Hopefully that will happen and they won't have to spend their last years begging on the streets. Most jobs here don't pay enough for savings accounts, especially if a person is supporting a large family. So, family ties are essential.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your observations and insights here. It's too bad that older parents and extended families have lost much of their value in the youth-oriented culture of the USA. It's a no win situation. The younger generation loses out and the older generation dims into loneliness. Perhaps that is why we are still seeking meaning in our 60's and 70's. You are a bright, compassionate girl Patricia.

    Keith B.
    Mesquite, Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, Thank you for your compliments. I am glad you appreciated what I wrote. One of the things I have always loved about Mexico is the way the families stick together. I come from a small, disconnected family. I missed a lot. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I greatly appreciated this article also. I, too, came from a small disconnected family and feel like I missed out on a lot of things. I was just having a conversation with an online friend about the benefits of extended families living and working together.

    I'm looking into moving to the lakeside area as soon as I can get my finances sorted out. This economy is tough.

    Mike K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike, Thank you for writing. I appreciate it. It is getting harder to live here too. Prices are going up, especially rents... And buying, for me, is out of the question. But it beats the States.....Patricia

    ReplyDelete