Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Anne Lamott

I discovered the writer Anne Lamott a few weeks ago. Since then, I have read every book of hers that is in the Lake Chapala Library. I have laughed and cried at so many things she has written. Here is a sample taken from her book titled: Traveling Mercies, Some Thoughts On Faith.

"There are pictures of the people in my family where we look like the most awkward and desperate folk you ever saw, poster children for the human condition. But I like that, when who we are shows. Everything is usually so masked or perfumed or disguised in the world, and it's so touching when you get to see something real and human...."

I love that sentiment, to be able to just be honest and open about ourselves, without trying to be perfect. Maybe that is why I like to take so many photos of families. The photos help me to connect to the most human part of myself and I feel more self accepting in the process. Thank you Anne Lamott for expressing thoughts and feelings that I also have but can't express....... That, in my mind, is true Art.

2 comments:

  1. 9 years ago my car was broken into. We still have that Honda Accord (it's 19 years old!), and sometimes still we will turn up a little shard of glass that has worked its way out of the door. What was stolen was a black satchel that probably looked like a purse. In the satchel was my calendar (wonder how many appointments I missed?) and a copy of Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies. She is an interesting voice. I disagree with many of her conclusions, but I totally love her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K-Sue, Thank you for writing again. I wonder if the person who stole your satchel ever read the book. Probably wasn't a reader. Not very likely. Patricia

    ReplyDelete