Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Morning Thoughts--the Dentist pt 2


Yesterday, a friend sent me a link to a comment about the dentist I had seen. It was on Chapala.com. I rarely look at that link because writing my blog takes up so much of my time. But on this link was a comment about how the dentist I had seen had done a bad job on her tooth.

Now I am confused. There were several good comments on his work. And once again, I am reminded of a rule I had made up for myself several years ago about NOT recommending anyone for anything. I had recommended a house sitter who just walked off the job three weeks before it was over without telling anyone. I never saw him again. The neighbors had to watch the dog and cat until the owner returned from England.

I recommended a dentist who ended up charging me a third more for the job at the end because he said it was for the filling. Sixty dollars extra for the filling!  This way of doing business has happened several times to me here. (Thinking back to the heart doctor.) And they always say, "But if you don't have the money today you can come back and pay me later on."  As if they are doing me a huge favor to give me more time to pay the added expense and make me take another trip to pay them. 

I had a friend who ordered some handmade furniture and the same thing happened to him when it was delivered. He was so angry that he canceled the rest of the order.

But back to why I am writing all of this. It is to say that I am not going to mention the dentist's name on the blog. I will go back to my rule. No recommendations. Okay, I do recommend places to stay but that is all. No dog sitters, dentists, doctors, hair dressers, etc.   I don't want to feel responsible when things go wrong. And things do go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes and has bad days. I don't want to feel responsible for recommending someone when that happens. 


3 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel reluctant to make recommendations. I went to an oral surgeon once to have two wisdom teeth removed. He was recommended by a good friend whose husband had gone to him and had a good result with no problems. On the other hand, it turned out to be a nightmare for me. I think sometimes things just happen. I never blamed my friend.

    Having moved to a new city recently, I appreciate all of the recommendations I have received. We have to start somewhere, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your understanding. We are all human and humans make mistakes. P

      Delete