Thursday, August 27, 2009

Missing My Life in Ajijic

I return to Ajijic on the 5th of Sept. I am looking forward to being back there, although I am going to miss my family. I sometimes scroll through my photos on the blog just to remind myself of my life back in Mexico. I have a short memory. I need constant reminders. Sometimes when I am in an environment, I get to thinking that there is no other way to live.

Last night my daughter-in-law, Christine, took me to a Whole Foods grocery store near her house. It was in the Tigard area. What a place! There was an abundance of everything; fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, sea foods, canned goods, bakery products, beauty products, on and on. The store was so large that just walking around it exhausted me. But the biggest drain was the prices. Everything was expensive. The entire shopping center, to me, is like walking into the future. So much wealth! I wonder how the average minimum wage working person could possibly afford to shop there. I was overwhelmed by it all. It is such a different life style than what I have in Mexico. I like Mexico better. I can cope with it. I can't cope here. In Mexico I can live a comfortable life on my income and even save a little bit every month. Here I am in poverty. If it weren't for my family, I would never be able to live in Portland.

Do I want to live in Portland? No! I want to live in Mexico. I feel very disconnected from people here. In Mexico when I walk down those cobblestone streets, I say hi to everyone I meet. I know many of them too. I walk into town by way of the lake shore. I take local buses for longer trips. I rarely get into a car. In Portland, everything has to be accessed by car and that means freeways. They make me nervous. One false move and you are dead. How about all those people in other cars? We will never meet except, God forbid, by an accident.

Sometimes I go to restaurants here with my family. I don't know the waiters. They don't sit and talk with me. I don't know their life stories. I haven't seen their families and they know nothing about me. They don't care to know anything about me except how much of a tip I will leave for them. I don't know the owners and none of them get up and do line dancing when the local band plays one of those hokey songs. There are no bands to play music anyway. I love line dancing, in spite of the lyrics. I love to see the smiling faces of my friends as they go through the motions. We are all equal and having fun.

Why do people go to coffee shops and bookstores here and then ignore each other? It looks like they are there to have some socialization. But they would prefer to talk to people on their cell phones rather than risk making face to face contact with someone new. Maybe I am just too old for this new society. I like the simple life. I miss Mexico!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia...So much of what you feel about Mexico and NOB places is exactly how I feel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings! I hope you have enjoyed your visit with your family and have a safe journey back to Ajijic. Maybe your family would enjoy seeing the video I put on my blog today. Nice shots of the lake and village. The song 'Somewhere In Mexico" is fun too. It has been replaying in my head all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you Linda.....What a beautiful baby girl. Wonderful blog. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia,

    I have been reading your blog for the past month or so (hovering in the wings) and have really appreciated your authenticity. I'm coming down to Ajijic in a few days for a month and would love to meet you. Maybe take a walk with your dog? I'll try to get in contact with you when I get my laptop up and running. Have a good trip back down! My name is Jeanne (pronounced the French way, "Jahn."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanne, Yes, please contact me when you get down to Ajijic. I would love to meet you and show you around. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it that you look at your blog to remind yourself of your experiences. I like to do that, too. My husband laughs at me when he catches me reading my own blog, but it's funny how quickly you can forget things--even important things. I'm glad you take the time to catalog your experiences. I enjoy reading about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, Thank you for writing. To me, looking at my blog is like reading my diary, only better because there are photos. I am glad I am not alone in this rereading business. My memory is bad these days. The blog sure helps. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat,

    I have not heard from you since August or is it something wrong with my puter (pop-up bloker??)
    How are you doing? Are you back to Chapala yet?

    Take care,
    HN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patricia: I really enjoyed looking over your blog, the comments and pictures are great. I was directed to your site by my cousin Judy who lives in Ajijic with her grandson Danny. I loved the pictures you posted of them and my sister Ginger. Such a beautiful place...and it was great to see their photos. Thank you. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, Thank you for writing and I am glad you liked the photos. I had a nice lunch with Danny and Judi and Judy and Ginger. Wonderful people. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again, Pat. Still moving forward through your time in Ajijic, slowly. You mentioned going back through your blog posts to remind yourself of the life you'd left behind in Mexico. It put me in mind of the three years I spent partially in the U.K. I kept a blog then, and also posted during several visits in succeeding years. You might find it amusing.

    http://1001teatimes.blogspot.com/

    Of course the first page you see will be the last one I wrote, but all the previous years are linked on the right, and I wasn't nearly as faithful a blogger as you, so there aren't too many to read if you're ever curious what it was like for a single older woman to live in London.

    Keep it up; I'll catch up with the present day eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Bridget. I will check out your blog right now. P

    ReplyDelete