Thursday, August 20, 2009

My 94 Year Old Ex-Mother-In-Law and My Daughter-In-Law




My family has been running around in circles, trying to take care of Betty, my ex-mother-in-law. She now requires 24 hour one-to-one care. She has no long term health care insurance. It costs 6,000 dollars a month to keep her in skilled nursing and they require an extra out-of-pocket fee from the family of $17.50 an hour, 24 hours a day!!! We don't have that kind of money. We can't get her into a home in Mexico where I live. There is one down the street from my house in Mexico. It is very nice and only costs $1400 a month, all care included.... Because she is so old and the court house burned down in the small town where she lived, she has no birth certificate. The American government is making it impossible for her to get one. It has become a real problem. No answers so far and I am too tired at this point to even think. In the grand scheme of life at the moment, this fact seems trivial, but I took these photos with my new camera, the Canon ELPH. All the photos turned out. I wouldn't have gotten any good photos with my old camera. Now I have several books to read on how to use it. No time now......

6 comments:

  1. What a horrible situation. Do they want to prove date of birth or that she was born in US? Is there a baptismal certificate or school records? You've probably already thought of these, but there has to be something somewhere... Write/call your local congressman's office. And senator. They will usually get involved when it is a humanitarian issue. Good luck, Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another suggestion - contact your local newspaper, they often like these type of human interest stories.Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear from you!
    min

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. Yes, she has a baptismal certificate but they won't accept that. We have contacted the congressman's office but they don't call us back. Very frustrating. I think everyone here has given up on getting help for her. Very sad, especially for my ex husband. He hasn't had a break for weeks. We try to help out but she is very demanding. I don't know how he does it. He is a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pictures. Especially the last one. I hope you get some help with the birth certificate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, Thank you. Yes, I love to see the one with my ex mother-in-law laughing. This isn't always the case. She can be a lot of work and extremely demanding. Patricia

    ReplyDelete