Thursday, August 13, 2009

American Health Care

Okay, I am going to do another bitch session. This one has to do with the American Health Care System. If you aren't interested in this subject, then skip it. I am going through another encounter with it. I already talked about my two thousand dollar knee operation in Guadalajara. At the same time my friend in the States had the same operation and it cost thirty thousand dollars.

This time I am going to complain about the skilled nursing homes. There is one down the street from my house in Ajijic. I have photos of it on my blog in different posts. The cost is 1200 dollars a month. There is also one down the street from that one for Alzheimer's Patients. It costs 1400 dollars a month. I have seen the inside of both of these units. They are nice. These two are the high end homes in the area.

My ex-mother-in-law fell and broke her hip. She is 94 years old. They recently did the operation to replace the hip. She is in a skilled nursing unit in Portland to the tune of six thousand dollars a month. But now they say she needs 24 hour one-to-one minding. They call it a Sitter! This will cost the family an extra $17.50 an hour, every hour all day and night.... add that up....won't take long to bankrupt the entire family. So, I ask, What does the six thousand dollars a month pay for at the nursing home? Room and board? Too bad she can't make the trip to Mexico. She is too frail to travel. It cost seven thousand dollars just to fly her up to Portland from Northern California. Something is terribly wrong with this picture.

5 comments:

  1. This is why we need national health care and now!! To many greedy people out there, that just want to take your money. What does that sitter do while she is sleeping?
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this. I sure hope we actually get some health care reform put through under Obama, though it likely will be just baby steps. But more likely it will get shot down. Sigh... I just pray we never lose our jobs and our health insurance. We'd REALLY be up a creek then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, It is a crisis at this point. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. living in blindness will not help. A national healthcare like what Canada? Why do they come here for surgery etc? Do you know? I do and it is because the waiting list there a rediculous and sad. Time and time again elderly people have come in my work place sharing stories. These snowbirds who can't get care they need. They as in Goverments value the life of a person based on what the govement thinks they are worth. I agree the cost is rediculous in the states but if you really think national healthcare would help do your research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your interest and feed back. Patricia

    ReplyDelete