Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thoughts on Men and Beauty

I was in a restaurant the other night when a beautiful young Mexican woman at the table next to me was having her birthday. She had turned thirty. Her boyfriend, an American close to my age, fifties or sixties, was treating her with much devotion. The situation made me think about beauty in women. Life seems very unfair in this respect. As we get older, hopefully we become more mature. Hopefully we will have more depth to our personalities. Women seem to value these qualities in men. We don't care if the man has lost his hair or teeth and has wrinkles and a paunch. We are looking at the inner qualities. But with men, things seem to be different. I notice this a lot down here and it is true all over the world. Men seem to be more interested in external beauty. Unfortunately, that doesn't last. Forty is the downhill slide for all of us. So many men only notice women forty or younger. I have experienced it over and over, men my age sitting in my company and ignoring me as a potential mate. Their eyes only see the young Mexican women around them. It is very bad for the ego.

I look at handsome men in their thirties and forties and I don't have the desire to be with them. I see them with compassion, the way I would look at my son and his friends. Life is hard for all of us. I appreciate their physical beauty. As far as I am concerned, all people under forty are beautiful just because of their youth. (Youth is a gift we have so we can compete in the world until we grow up and can deal with things from our more developed inner qualities. Qualities hard won through experience!) But I wouldn't want to have a thirty or forty year old as a mate. That would be boring to me. I would rather have someone close to my own age. We would have more in common and I believe our lives would be richer on a spiritual level than with a much younger person. Hopefully, when we live longer, we have more to share. Like I already said, more depth. But this doesn't seem to be true with a lot of men my age. Beauty comes first. Youth and beauty. So, women my age sit on the sidelines and watch as the game is played out. I am sure there are other women my age who have the same thoughts. Thoughts like, why am I being overlooked? I have a lot to offer in a relationship...... As I already said, life seems very unfair in this matter. But no one ever said that life was fair......

4 comments:

  1. Dear,Patricia
    Better be alone then being with someone,who does not speak or understand your beauty...
    min

    ReplyDelete
  2. Min, Thank you again for you kind and loving words of advice. patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Patricia
    You ARE a beautiful woman. I see it in the picture of you holding your dog.
    Just as you cannot love another if you do not love yourself, you cannot reveal your physical beauty if you do not feel it yourself.

    Smile . relax, and please know you are attractive, and very special!
    From another "Middle aged beauty"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Another Middle Aged Beauty, Thank you for your compliment! Yes, I know you are right about self love. But in the face of constant indifference from men my age, it is hard to keep up faith....Most of the time I don't care, but sometimes.....well, it gets me down......Patricia

    ReplyDelete