Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Boring Old Story

This story is so common here that it hardly needs to be told. So I will just highlight some of it. Old disabled man falls in love with his young evening maid, kicks out a long term renter, me, and plans to move in this maid and her entire extended family. Rent free and most likely supporting all of them. Renter, me, is desperate to find another place to live. Not expecting to receive a 30 day notice, from his lawyer, I am frantically searching for housing at the beginning of the high season with two animals and a house full of heavy furniture from living eight years at the same place and with a bummed out knee from falling down the stairs due to this stress. 

Like I already wrote, sad story but not a new one. Looks like I will have to store everything and find a less expensive town. I may not write much until I get settled again. Final comment. If you need a reliable, wonderful, devoted, hard working maid, please let me know. She has been doing all the work of taking care of this man for almost eight years. I don't know how I could have managed through this upheaval without her love and support. I don't know how long she will be willing to stay here with all this extra work and of course no extra pay and no benefits. Her situation is even more dire than mine. Instead of worrying and bitching like I have been doing, she is smiling and she brought me flowers and food for my birthday yesterday. Some Birthday! But I will try to use her as an example of optimism . So many Mexicans can deal with adversity better than spoiled expats like me. I would trust this maid with my life! Also her husband and son are also reliable, wonderful gardeners who need work. 

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I am sorry you have not found a new place to live yet, hopefully soon. I know you are very stressed. Sending good wishes to you to find a reasonable and nice place to live soon. So glad the maid shows kindnesss to you when you need it most. What a lovely lady she must be. Take care.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy. I need all the support I can get right now. P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this, that is awful. Only 30 days notice!

    I'm crossing my fingers and sending hopeful positive vibes: you WILL find a wonderful new place.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jane. I am going to San Blas for awhile to lick my wounds. p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also would take the trouble to check with a lawyer, I think he has to give you more than 1 month notice. See the comment at the end of this thread: http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=54142&page=2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I am going to San Blas. I do not want to live around this man no longer than is necessary. p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, not the best way to be during your birthday! On the other hand it's getting you off on a nice getaway. Try to see the good in it, and just enjoy your time in San Blas. If it were me I would look at this as an opportunity instead of a disappointment. To every negative there is a positive :)
    I wish you the best and feel sure you will be happier once you go through this change, hopefully for a longer or perhaps the last time you will need to move again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I am looking forward to the beach. P

      Delete
  8. I only found your blog a few weeks back, doing research for our young family moving to Lake Chapala in October. I had been offline for a few days and am needless to say, stunned and so upset for you. Not that this helps any.

    I hope things settle for you smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear that you have to move. You say you've lived in the same place for eight years, yet I've only been reading your blog for a while, and I recall you showing photos of the new apartment you moved into sometime during the last 18 months! If I remember correctly, your old apartment had an outdoor kitchen with only a blue tarp for a roof, and you were down in lower La Floresta. Aren't you in upper Ajijic now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right on all counts. Before that upstairs room I lived in the same yard in a small two room casita for six or seven years. I have lost track of time. P

    ReplyDelete