Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Happiness

For me, happiness is a sunny day. We have had so few of them lately. At least half the day has been cloudy or raining.  Chico and I took a walk. We went up to the hardware store so I could buy more plastic to use for covering my outside furniture. Then we went to the pharmacy. I needed my ice cream fix. While I was waiting in line to pay, I heard a man singing Love Me Tender. He was totally unselfconscious. When he got up to the counter to pay for his own things, a woman who was in line said to him. "You sound happy."

He said, "I am always happy. If you can't be happy here, you can't be happy anywhere."

I walked out of the pharmacy, thinking about what he had said. I remember reading a book on happiness a few years ago. It had some surprising things to report. Such as, after a short period of time, people who have won the lottery aren't any happier than people who have become paraplegic.

Another example was a quote from a man who was about to be executed, where he said he was happy about his life and how it turned out. A wealthy man who had committed suicide wrote about how unhappy he was with his life....

In other words, happiness is mostly an inside job, irregardless of one's life circumstances. I know that is true, in my head. In my heart, I feel differently. Rainy, gloomy days make me feel unhappy. Sunny days, like today, make me feel like singing Love me Tender. 

10 comments:

  1. I have always loved a rainy season when it is shorter than what we have in Oregon...but initially when it starts it makes me happy because I love the smell after a nice rain, I love how the rain makes me turn inward more than looking outside myself for what makes me happy, I love to do crafts when it's yucky out, so I become very inspired and creative when it rains, and I love the rain drops falling on the roof top of my house, I love the rainbows afterwards too! I do grow tired of the gray gloom that lasts for about 6 months here in Oregon, so I will be very happy when I leave here! Where I will land is a mystery, but it will not be staying in Oregon that's for sure! pam in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Pam, You make the rain sound so nice. Since I live in one room, I get too crowded in here during the rain. p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does the black dog visit is a question for the ages. Why can one soul wave the beast away with a sweep of their hand and another fight it unto death? The why of depression baffles me, there is an answer but as in so many areas of our health, it eludes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, Very poetic. I have been visited by that black dog and have never been able to just sweep it away..... p

      Delete
  4. Yes, living in a one room casita would be hard during long bouts of rain storms for sure, but why don't you move into something bigger, I've seen great places for rent that are very cheap and much bigger than where you are. I know you are attached to Chico and the kitty, but you could always visit them and probably have them over night at times, most likely Olive the cat could move with you so it would just mean visiting Chico. I must say though your neighborhood is gorgeous so perhaps that is your reason for staying put. I also like the poetic Norm reply :) What a nice and true way of speaking to depression. I never understand it because I am one that sweeps it away quickly when it tries to rear it's ugly head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful e mail. I could not leave Chico. He needs me and I need him too much. I don't mind one room. Easy to clean and I love the outdoor kitchen. Lucky you that depression never affects you. p

      Delete
  5. Pat I can totally understand the attachment to Chico, I am very attached to my dog and wouldn't leave her either. I think I am very fortunate to not have depression wave over me, as many in Oregon do, it's a gloomy place here in the winters and many people are effected from sun deprivation, but I am lucky in that it never sticks with me when a wave of it hits. I do things that help to make it go away, but I think for those who have it must try all sorts of ways to get rid of it and when they can't the use happy pills! Living in a relaxed happy place like you are though must make a huge difference :) Pam in OR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for keeping in touch with me Pam. I have now learned to recognize your writing voice. Your friend, p

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is NO WAY that I could (or would) leave Chico and Oliver. NO WAY! Animals bring such happiness and joy. They are definitely worth a few rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, Thanks for commenting. Animal people understand why I keep living in this less than perfect place. I will not leave the animals. They are so full of love. I don't know what I would do without them. p

      Delete