Monday, July 30, 2012

Portland, OR and Guadalajara MX, Sister Cities

 Portland and Guadalajara are sister cities. The cities of Roses. In 2008,  the mayor of Portland was in Guadalajara and brought down several special rose bushes for Mexico. Guadalajara built a park in the heart of town based on Portland's Green philosophy. If you are interested in it, check it out online: http://www.jardinportland.com/ABOUT.html  I haven't been to it yet. I just found out about it. Since I rarely venture as far as Guadalajara, I miss some very interesting things. I am going to try to be more adventurous when I return to Mexico this time. I always say that and rarely do it.

I am going back to Ajijic tomorrow. Of course I am not sleeping well and when I do get to sleep I have anxiety dreams. I am a TERRIBLE traveler.  I hate leaving my family but I am looking forward to being back to Ajijic. Split feelings.

Some information on the park:
In February of 2008, the first period of Jardin construction was completed with the planting of the Phase One Rose Garden. During this Portland delegation visit to Guadalajara – which included Mayor Tom Potter and more than 50 other representatives from Portland's public and private sector - the group also gained approval of the Jardin's overall master plan.
The "Living Phase" of the Jardin, began construction in 2009, will include an amphitheater to accommodate concerts and events and a beautiful water feature, both modeled after some of the Portland region's most cherished outdoor spaces. The final "Learning Phase" will boast the Verde (Green) Learning Center. One of the world's most unique, hands-on environmental and sustainability learning facilities, the Center will be open to all of the Bosque's one million annual visitors.
The Jardin is slated for completion in 2011, concurrent with the Pan American Games. The project is made possible through the support of both cities' governments, the Universidad Aut–noma de Guadalajara, Portland State University, Portland and Guadalajara-based designers, architects and engineers, and a large group of caring business sponsors and individual supporters.


2 comments:

  1. Pat you will be just fine once you are back home in Ajijic. Chico will be a happy dog.
    Safe trip and looking forward to your next blog from Mexico. P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your confidence in me and your encouragement. Yes, once I got over the anxiety of leaving and worry about what might happen on the trip, I was fine. P

      Delete