Sunday, January 7, 2018

Strange e mail about my blog

This morning I received one of the strangest e mails I have ever received about my blog. I am writing it next, word for word. Bad punctuation and misspellings and all.

Hi Patricia,
I'm a producer for a studio in Guadalajara, we are going to film a documentary in Chapala and Ajijic, the days of 8,9,10 and 12 of January, I read your blog And I wonder if there is a male blogger that can help us with the Documentary. We pretend to pay the people that can help us bit We need a male. I don't know if you know someone interested in This.
Thanks!

So that is word for word what I received in my e mail today. I don't have words to express my reaction to it. I wrote back to her asking why she needed a male and she said her client wants a male.   WHY?  I have no idea. I don't know any MALE BLOGGERS here. Actually I don't know ANY BLOGGERS here. And why would she insult me by asking me to recommend a man to do a job that I am perfectly qualified to do? And what does this phrase mean? WE PRETEND TO PAY PEOPLE THAT CAN HELP US.......   ?????

I wonder where PRETEND money can be spent? At a pretend Ajijic?  Maybe I should have pretended to have been flattered that she asked me for help....  It was such open discrimination with no rational explanation for it and then the expectation that I would gladly help that I  am speechless.....

11 comments:

  1. A prank? I would ignore, does not sound legit, the use of the word "pretend" maybe has different meaning in Mexico (tongue in cheek) Take care, Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wanda, thank you for writing. Maybe it was just a prank. P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not let this crazy thing bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you looked at the help wanted ads? Those will either make your blood boil, or you will have to laugh about it..

    Maybe you could do a post about that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to several different foreign countries and I know that in all of them the help wanted ads discriminate. It may say, Wanted a woman between the ages of eighteen and twenty five, etc. There don't seem to be any antidiscrimination laws. What made me angry is these people asking ME to discriminate against MYSELF by recommending a man to do the job. Thanks for commenting. P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your frustration about the email, but I don’t think it’s a prank, just another situation of “lost in translation “. “Pretender” in Spanish does not mean “pretend”. In the context above it means “expect” or “intend”. And the person inquiring likely had no idea how offensive it would be to you that they are seeking a male blogger, since specifying male vs female, a specific age range, and indeed a job applicant’s photo is routine for job ads in Mexico and throughout Latin America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your feedback. Of course you are right. I was just offended that they wanted ME to discriminate against myself by asking me to recommend a man for the job. If they had given me a rational explanation, that would have helped. But no, they didn't bother to do that much. They just expected me to be okay with it. P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just because discrimination exists, that doesn't mean it is right and acceptable to the person being discriminated against. P

    ReplyDelete
  9. However I am encountering problems with your RSS. I don’t understand why I am unable to join it. Is there anybody else getting the
    same RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am so sorry. My son set up this blog and I know nothing about how to fix technical problems. He is in the USA and right now he is too busy to help me out. P

      Delete