Sunday, March 1, 2015

Morning Thoughts---Scam Artists


I went to the Chili Cook-Off yesterday and had a great time.  Soon I will put on photos of it. But this morning I want to write about something I was told by my friend while we were having lunch at the cook-off. She was scammed. By a nice looking and very polite expat man last week. An older American, maybe in his sixties or early seventies.

She met him before she went to the beauty shop. He told her that he only had his debit card and no cash but he brought down a truck load of furniture. Nice stuff, and an air conditioner, etc.  He said he didn't know what to do with it all because he had no place to put it now.

She didn't want the things so she suggested that he donate it to the poor people here. He thought that was a good idea so she called the priest. The priest liked that idea too. Now this man had spent maybe five hours talking to my friend and she thought he was honest and telling her the truth.

Then finally he said, But I don't have cash for gas. Can you loan me 300 pesos for gas? He already had the address of where to take the furniture. (This truck load of furniture which, of course, my friend never saw.) So she reached into her purse and gave him the three hundred pesos. I am sure you can guess the ending of this story. He disappeared..... With her money.....


4 comments:

  1. So sorry that your friend got scammed, but it sounds like that man wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen. He wasted five hours trying to get 300 pesos? Not a very successful scammer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, Well 300 pesos is enough to live on for a day and a little longer if you are careful. I would say he was successful. thanks for writing. p

    ReplyDelete
  3. The minute anyone would ask me for money would be the split second I would walk away, I don't care how long they spend schmoozing me!

    ReplyDelete