Friday, February 28, 2014

Morning Thoughts


I love it that the days are starting to get longer and warmer. Since I have no windows facing the lake, my place is usually very cold inside. I spend most of my time in the garden area. But when it starts getting hotter here, I can sit in my casita without wearing a long sleeved shirt or sweater. (If you ever come and rent a place here, try to get one with windows that face the lake)

The owner of this place is fighting the gates. He is a Mexican attorney and owns six houses in this area. I think the barriers they recently installed on El Camino Real are now opened up. There is no question that it is a main road. It runs from San Antonio into here and downtown.  There are only two major roads here that run between the towns and that is one of them.

But there seems to be a dispute over whether the road in front of my place is public or private. If it is private, maybe the most I can hope for is that they will open it during the day and the worst outcome will be another barrier so that I can no longer even climb over the fence. Depends on the judges and how honest they are and how much influence the wealthy Canadians can have with them.

When I wrote about this gate problem, I received several e mails from people who live in the States. Logical and reasonable suggestions on what to do about it. Questions about the reasoning behind putting up a gate where anyone can climb over the fence. Or why I couldn't get a key. Things like that that made sense to outsiders. But there is no way of explaining to them about the ins and outs of living in Mexico. This is not a logical or rational environment. Things often don't make sense here. There are no straight forward solutions. You either learn to live with it and go with the flow or you move back to the States where things make more sense. I had to laugh at the rational and logical advice I received by e mail. If only.........

Everything that was broken in my life is slowly getting fixed. I get a new camera in ten days. My computer has been cleaned up so it is working again. Maybe now I can start putting photos on my blog without having them rotated to the sideways position. I haven't been able to figure out if that is a computer or a camera problem. Very frustrating.

 Along with the IMSS problem and the gate problem, things have been stressful for me the past couple of weeks. But what I call stress would most likely be laughed at by everyone else. Generally, my life is very good. I shouldn't take things so seriously. That has always been one of my problems. I must lighten up.  Go with the flow, etc. It is a beautiful, sunny day. I am going to climb over this fence this morning without swearing and then walk up to the bus stop and ride into Chapala. Today is Veracruz fish at the American Legion. My favorite dish. Life is good!

6 comments:

  1. Hola Patricia, Sorry about your neighborhood problems. Are the pro fence people never leaving the neighborhood, so the will be "safe" all the time? False sense of security
    in my opinion. It is a beautiful sunny day here in the Pacific NW today too !! It Chico OK? Haven't seen in on your blog for a while. Wish I could go to the Legion for the fish with you. Connie in Wa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie. Many of those people who voted on closing off the area are only here part of the year. They will be leaving soon and the rest of us will be stuck continuing to climb over the fence. Chico is doing great. He goes UNDER the gate. p

      Delete
  2. Pat, you are a very creative person who have been hopping fences all your life. Look at the fence as a metaphor and you will laugh. The fence was put there because people are afraid of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing and for the compliment. I am TRYING to accept this with some grace. Not doing a very good job of it. I worry about falling and breaking yet another bone. p

      Delete
  3. I couldn't handle jumping over fences nor would I want to even if I could! So if it were me I would probably get a vehicle of some sort or move. It's good to go with the flow and change is always lurking behind us it's inevitible so we just have to accept it and find a way to deal with it however one can. Lots of people are just offering suggestions to try to help you, but only you will ultimately know what is the best resolve for you. You have lived there long enough to know what will work for you and what won't. I think those of us living in the states haven't a clue about living in remote areas globally until we've experienced it because we're sheltered from what it's really like elsewhere. That is why I like your blog, you are exposing what it's really like to live there. I like that part of your blog very much and appreciate it, but I realize it is your experience not every Expats experience. It all depends on your purse! Lets face it money is power!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this very insightful comment. Yes, my experience is often different from others living here because I am at the low end of the money scale and I am single. P

      Delete