Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Morning Thoughts--Sick


I have been staying home for a couple of days with a slight cold and a very bad sore throat. This morning I couldn't swallow without it feeling like I was swallowing glass. Maybe I need to walk up to see the doctor today. I hate doing it because I expect that he will give me a prescription for antibiotics. Doctors here like to do that and I don't know if they will help or not for this kind of illness. Okay, I admit it. Getting a prescription for antibiotics is not the reason. I just hate going to see doctors. I have had too many bad experiences in the States with doctors. I avoid them for as long as possible.

But at least I don't have to worry about the cost or making an appointment or waiting in the doctor's office for an hour or more like I do in the States. It is all so simple. I walk into the doctor's office and say to the receptionist that I need to see him. In a few minutes he comes out and gets me. Then he talks with me as long as I like about my symptoms. He checks them out and makes his diagnosis. I leave and pay my two hundred pesos (about fifteen dollars) to the receptionist or to him. I walk across the street to the pharmacy and buy the medication. Easy.

I forgot to mention that when I am at the doctor's office I do not have to completely undress and sit in a cold little cubicle for a long time with nothing on but a tiny paper gown. I get to sit across from the doctor in his office, like an equal.  He sees me as more than a cluster of symptoms. He treats me like a human being. I love that.

Today is market day. I am going to have to get food for the rest of the week. Maybe I will take some photos if I feel up to it. And if I am not feeling better after shopping I will think about going to the doctor. (Most likely, I will just THINK about it.)

It stormed again last night and this morning the clouds are mostly gone but it is so humid that I feel like I just had a shower and didn't dry off. I don't like this part of the rainy season. But being sick puts me in a bad mood. I don't like anything right about now. Maybe I won't write for a few days, until I am feeling better physically in a more upbeat mood.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Pat:
    There are many people here in Montreal with scratchy, sore throats and runny noses. Is it the explosion of pollen this spring or a cold virus? Doctors here will not prescribe antibiotics with out the results of throat culture being positive for bacteria. Way too many people take antibiotics for a virus which of course do not help a virus in any way.
    P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, I have talked with other friends with the same problem. I most likely won't see the doctor. He can't do anything. Time is the best medicine. p

      Delete
    2. Gargle with salt or a plain aspirin dissolved in warm water works just as well as the pricey items sold to gargle with.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Peggy. I have been doing that. p

      Delete
  2. I had the same thing, it started with an extremely painful throat, but then turned into an ordinary cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Yes, it sounds the same. My throat still feels like it is filled with ground glass. Guess the only thing to do is wait it out. p

      Delete
  3. I really liked Dr. Maria in Jototepec. She was an excellent MD. I do miss the personalized care you receive in Mexico. Back in the states I am often a chart number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that note. I have seen Dr. Maria. Yes, she is much more personable. Most doctors here are friendlier than in the States. p

      Delete
  4. Sounds like very personalized care. Honestly, Pat, I don't know how much longer I can stay up here. I just want to be in Ajijic!! I think about it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, That happens to me too when I am not here. I complain about things here but in reality it is pretty nice compare to anywhere else I know. p

      Delete
  5. I think I caught your illness. : ) Same symptoms...after I got home from work yesterday, I slept from 4 pm to 8 am...only waking up from 8 to 9 in the evening to drink a smoothie to help my throat. But I am much better today...hope you are too, Pat!
    Karen in VA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen, So sorry that you too are sick. Get lots of rest. p

    ReplyDelete