Saturday, August 24, 2013

Morning Thoughts---Things That I Miss about Mexico


I miss the slower pace of life at the Lakeside area. There is not as much pressure as I feel up here in Portland where people always seem to be in a hurry. Maybe it is because all my friends down there are retired. Working people don't have a lot of free time. Time is very valuable. Too many things to do, not enough time.

The philosophy in Mexico is based on the Manana factor. Things will get done--tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow or maybe in a month. Or maybe--- never.  Manana. Interesting concept and mostly it works for everyone, unless you are waiting for an electrician, or a plumber.

I miss the sense of security that comes from knowing that I can afford to see a doctor or a dentist if I need one. Up here, I know that if I needed medical or dental care, my entire budget would be shot for many months to come.

I miss the sunshine that I can depend on every day of the year. Even during the rainy season, the days are sunny. I am like Goldilocks in Mexico. Everything is Just Right. Not too hot.  Not too cold. And since I spend most of my time outdoors, this is a big factor in my life.

I miss my friends, people my own age. One way to feel old and out of it is to spend a lot of time with young, working people. Their interests are very different from mine. They have far more energy than I have and they are always in a hurry, going from one place to another. They think nothing of driving for many miles just to have a meal in a special restaurant.

I don't particularly like being in cars. They make me nervous. I like to be on the ground. Grounded. As I have already mentioned, I like the slower pace that is in the Lake Chapala area. All my friends have time. Time to spare for conversations on the street or helping with problems and projects at home.

So we are back to the Manana factor. Expats also have discovered that magic word. You meet a friend on the street when you are on your way to the hardware store to buy something for a minor home repair. That friend invites you out to lunch. Manana with the home repair. Let's go.......  

Of course I miss Chico and the wild cats. I wonder if the cats will return once they realize that I am back..... Probably.




2 comments:

  1. Those darn cats will be back. Have a good trip. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, Thanks for commenting. I am guessing that they will return. A free meal is not to be overlooked. P

      Delete