Saturday, April 18, 2009

Life in These United States

The above photo is the view from my porch of the Sacramento River.

I am still here, still working away every day trying to fix things up and getting rid of stuff so I can return to Mexico. I had three knobs that were broken on my stove top. They cost from forty to sixty dollars each to replace! They made them so the universal knobs don't fit. Must have cost twenty cents to make those knobs..... I had to drive to another city to rummage through their bins and I found three mismatched knobs for free and caused a gas leak while trying to unlock the stem. The gas man came out and turned off my gas after I slept over night with the gas leak.

So then I had to buy a new stove top!!! And if it won't fit or if the counter top is cut wrong I will have to remodel my kitchen....All because of three broken knobs.....It is like a nightmare where nothing is ever resolved! They just become more and more complicated and expensive......Just this one project has taken me days and days of effort..... It is like bread dough, one small problem becomes a never ending set of other problems. I am beginning to think I will never finish or get away from all the work and expense.
I don't know what is happening in this country. I managed to see a little bit of my television. Those converter boxes don't work. You just get into a program and they click off. Anyway, on with my complaining. I listened to a news program where they were talking about dating in these hard times. Their suggestion was that for sure you should bring out your financial statements and all your assets and share this with your date so he or she will know how much your are worth!!! And how about this? A dating service matching people up with the same credit scores..... Wow that sounds romantic.!!.... Everything seems to come down to money here. The almighty dollar. The ads use our bad times to try to sell us more stuff, playing on our fears.....I am soooo depressed and overwhelmed and my bank account is drying up daily....I must get back to Mexico.....Sorry for my bad state of mind. I was hoping to be in a better mood before writing but that isn't happening.




4 comments:

  1. How awful about those stupid knobs! Not fair!

    I can't BELIEVE anyone would seriously want to be matched based on credit scores. Ludicrous.

    Maybe with all the financial problems we are having, people will be forced to stay home and give up the expensive toys, and maybe we will spend time with our families and figure out what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Sarah. Thank you for your sympathy.....and your insights....Maybe we need to be shaken up in this country so we will get back to what is really important. I don't know. This morning I was kicked out of a very cheap and very empty eatery because I have been going there and using their internet for an hour every few days. I bought stuff while I was there but I din't spend enough money for the owner so he kicked me out. As I said, it all comes down to money these days up here. I can hardly wait to leave.

    ReplyDelete