Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Morning thoughts


Still in lockdown. The president has extended it for another month. By then, if I am still alive, my floors will be clean enough to eat on or else I will be here stark raving mad. Now, when I think of something I want to buy to fix up my house or something I want to do, I preface the thought with IF I AM STILL ALIVE.  What a way to think.  But this is our new reality. We are all at risk, some more than others.

Right now, I wish I had never left San Blas. The quiet little beach town north of Puerto Vallarta. I was going to retire there years ago but the mosquitoes and jejenes drove me out. Now an even greater threat exists in this area. Also unseen, like those jejenes. I checked the statistics this morning. Over in the San Blas area they have had only 6 cases and no deaths. It is fourth from the bottom of cases in Mexico. Jalisco, where I live, is third from the top with 90 cases and 4 deaths. And that is just for today.  It will get worse, much worse.

Last night I heard and saw a police truck coming down my street. The policeman was blasting out warnings and people walking on the street almost ran. I couldn't hear whatever he was saying. Maybe he was telling them to go home. And two days ago I watched an army helicopter above my neighborhood, going back and forth. Don't know why. Things are strange here right now. Most of the people are ignoring the threat but then there are little pockets of fearful events.

Well, back to cleaning my house. I have never been so well organized. If I die during this time, at least the person cleaning my house and getting rid of my things will have an easier time of it. Sorry for being so negative. I really should quit listening to the news. Good luck to you all and happy cleaning if that is what you too are doing.













4 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog on and off for years. Thank you for the time you put into it - you give me an interesting glimpse into your life living as an expat in Mexico. I am struggling from time to time and I am not living alone (husband at home) and I am learning to teach my elementary class at home - so I have something to do - it is so much harder when you are idle.I know depression too and it is a demon. You seem to be inspired by beauty and to love observing. I suspect you have some real creativity that if you were somehow able to change your brain.... you could make this time work for you. It is tricky isn't it. You are so smart to stay isolated. One day at a time. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I appreciate your encouragement. P

      Delete
  2. Hola, Pat. Don't be misled by the "statistics." No one really knows how many cases there are because the federal government has held up widespread testing. Here in Jalisco, Gov. Alfaro has worked hard to "flatten the curve." Also, Jalisco has a much larger population than Nayarit so there will likely be more cases. Stay strong; none of us are doing well mentally. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah for writing. I appreciate it. Good wishes to you too. I know this is difficult for all of us. P

      Delete