Saturday, March 21, 2020

Morning thoughts


Things are rapidly changing here just as everywhere else in the world. I am now self isolating. I am one of the more vulnerable of the population because of my age and health issues. I had to go out a few times to try to get money. Three times I tried ATM machines and they were empty. Being a suspicious person, my first thought was that the banks didn't like the current exchange rate so they stopped the ATMs from working. A couple of months ago, the peso to the dollar was the best for the peso than it has been in many years. Recently it is the worst for the peso. It fluctuated from 16 pesos to the dollar to over 24 pesos to the dollar. I can't keep up with all the changes that are happening here.

Most of the events have been canceled. The Lake Chapala Society has stopped all activities. But so far, they are keeping their grounds open.

Tomorrow I have to venture out to pick up my renewed IMSS health insurance forms. For now that office is still open. I hope I won't be needing to go to the doctor or hospital in the near future but I have to be prepared!

Expats are clearing out the grocery shelves. Toilet paper and dry beans, rice and fruits are almost gone. Superlake was so crowded at the checkout line that I had a panic attack and had to put my groceries down and leave the store. I suffer from claustrophobia. I guess that can be helpful in these social distancing times..

I am trying not to worry but it is hard to control. I should quit looking at the news. That would help.

Mexicans are business as usual. The president was out a few days ago in crowds, hugging people and kissing babies. He thinks everyone is overreacting. He has his three lucky charms protecting him. An American two dollar bill, a religious charm and I have forgotten the third one. God help us!

Be safe everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pat! I'm glad to see you are self-isolating as best as possible. As am I. It is a crazy time right now everywhere. Most people that I know don't understand the TP panic buying. The virus doesn't cause any of those issues. LOL. Stay safe and stay connected. We'll get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott, good to hear from you again. Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, stay connected. P

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you are staying safe. Are the small neighborhood stores still open and are the expats "panic buying" at these stores also? I know here in Pennsylvania (a small city about 32 miles east of Pittsburgh) the grocery stores cannot keep certain items on the shelf! Have heard of fights breaking out over toilet paper at our local Sam's Club! People are buying paper towels in bulk and if it is to be used in place of toilet paper I hope they do not flush them! We will have an even bigger mess on our hands (no pun intended) if they do. Some stores are opening an hour earlier to allow people 60 and over first dibs at shopping. Glad they are doing this.
    I enjoy your blog. Love the pictures of the lakeside area! Cannot wait to get back down there. With this pandemic who knows when that will be. Looking forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The small neighborhood stores are still open and I don't see too much panic buying. But I haven't been to wal mart lately. Don't know what is happening there. Thanks for commenting. Take care of yourself. P

    ReplyDelete