Thursday, March 5, 2020

Morning thoughts, Mexican Census



Flowers are in bloom all over town. In April the Jacaranda trees bloom and the towns turn purple.

But down to the business of census taking. A woman came to my door with her official identification hanging around her neck and asked me many questions. So many that I was starting to lose patience. Also two (men) neighbors ran over to help make sure I understood her Spanish and I am also guessing to learn my answers. Here are some of the questions. I am sure I have forgotten some. 

Where am I from? How long have I lived in Mexico? How old am I? Do I have any children? Do I have any children that have died? What kind of health insurance do I have? Do I have an income? Do I go to school? Do I work? How many years of schooling did I receive? Do I have any health issues that require help? Can I hear okay? See okay? Walk okay? Do I have a car? A bicycle? Or other mode of transportation? How many Rooms are in my house? How many people live here? How many bedrooms do I have? Do I have a washing machine? A television? A telephone? Cell phone? Refrigerator? Computer? Internet? Am I divorced or did my husband die? 

The two men learned a lot about me very quickly. maybe I should have been concerned about my privacy but I had no idea she was going to ask me so many questions. I guess I am a little bit flattered that people were interested enough in me to want to have those answers. Mostly I am like an invisible person, just making casual greetings on the street or while buying groceries. I do like my privacy. 

5 comments:

  1. Yep, they we even here high up in Agua escondida! National census , privacy is of the utmost importance as previous calamities have shown. I decline to give info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I filled out the census questionnaire online. Not nearly as many questions here!
    Stay well,
    Karen in Va

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Pat - Catching up with your blog again after moving house and getting settled in. It sounds like a lot of those questions are geared toward the government knowing how many people need certain services. It's one of the things that makes a census valuable to everyday people. Still, it would be nice to have a bit of privacy, ¿sí?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget, good to hear from you . And to know that you are okay and are settled in your new place. You are right about lack of privacy in Mexico. P

      Delete