Thursday, June 20, 2013

Morning Thoughts--Another Rainy Day in Portland


Another rainy day. I have to keep reminding myself that the rain is what makes it so beautiful up here. But I miss the sunshine. We have had some glorious sunny days and then rain again. This is summer. Maybe their summer doesn't really start until July. Maybe July fourth is the beginning of summer.

My son and daughter-in-law went from England to Prague. They will be back Sunday night. I am looking forward to their return. This big house gets lonely, especially when it is gloomy outside. Like this morning. Very gloomy out there and cold in the house. I also don't know how to turn on their heater.  I am such a country mouse.

I have had a few conversations with one of the housemates. Yesterday he brought in some delicious looking chocolate cake which I managed to not sample. I love chocolate but this diet is starting to work. I wouldn't want to ruin it just for a few brief moments of chocolate melting in my mouth.

The other housemate, well I haven't seen him since my family left and we share a bathroom. I know he is here because sometimes the toilet seat is up.

The dogs have been a lot of company for me. They follow me from room to room. I am not flattering myself by saying they care that much for me. They are both on strict diets (more strict than mine). They are hoping that I will drop crumbs for them.

A couple I met through my blog came and took me out to dinner last night. I have seen them in Portland and in Ajijic and back in Portland again. We talked about all the ins and outs of living in Mexico . Biggest concern for newcomers seems to be healthcare. Will they get good healthcare there and can they afford it?

That is a hard question to answer. I keep the IMSS, the government health insurance. It costs me a little less than four hundred dollars a year and I haven't used it yet. I tried to use it when I broke my ankle but it was so overwhelming that I left the hospital and paid out of pocket at a private hospital. Two thousand dollars but it was worth every penny to not have to stay in a crowded hospital room with a catherer and heavily drugged for a week before I could get the operation at the IMSS hospital.

Another friend is coming to take me out to lunch. I knew her from twelve years ago when we were both living in Red Bluff, CA and taking care of our mothers. I haven't seen her for several years. I am really looking forward to seeing her again.

10 comments:

  1. Hi again Patricia, (from Tanga)
    I am reading about your Portland trip and thinking about my own trip there with my 11 year old grandson, coming up July 31-Aug15. I would love to meet you and take you out to lunch or dinner. I'm all booked now for Ajijic in November, but would be fun to meet you beforehand. Would that be possible? Tanga tanganika10@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just up the road from you in Washington - we are having the same weather - sunny then some rain. Our summer temperatures here don't really start until August and September. Often it's too cool in June and part of July to sit on the deck.

    I love hearing about the health insurance, etc., as I am moving there in three years. I will live there on a tourist visa, given the new immigration laws. Will I still be able to get the IMSS health insurance? Are you a permanent resident?

    Thanks as always for your gorgeous photos and sharing your thoughts - hard to say which are my favorites - I love them both!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Thanks for writing and for complimenting my photos. I am always glad to hear that my blog is being read and appreciated. I don't think you can get IMSS if you are only there on a tourist visa. But the rules have all changed. I don't know now. I am not a permanent resident. I am can apply for it next year but it is expensive. P

      Delete
    2. How long is the tourist visa good for?

      Delete
    3. But that is only if you ask for that much when you arrive in Mexico. Otherwise they will give you a lot less time to stay. P

      Delete
  3. Hi Pat, it sounds like the IMSS is a lot of trouble. So much trouble that you paid out of pocket. That's a little un-nerving. Maybe we can talk more about that when you spend the day at Rio Nazas with me. Be sure to bring Chico!!

    Also, please share--what diet is this you're on???

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lorrie, Thanks for writing. For sure, I will tell you all about my IMSS experience. But I still pay for it, even though I have never used it. I am on the low carb diet. P

      Delete
  4. Low carb does work. I wish I could do it. I am SO addicted to sugar, it really is like a drug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, Thanks for writing. I feel the same way. I went out to lunch with a friend and was very good until it came to the chocolate pie. P

      Delete