Saturday, July 18, 2015

Morning Thoughts--Travel Anxiety



I leave tomorrow afternoon for Sacramento. As soon as the plane arrives I rush to the taxi and go to the bus station. There, I, hopefully, meet up with friends and we take the bus to Reno. We are staying in Reno for three nights. From Reno I fly up to Portland. So today I once again repacked my carry on suitcases. I think this makes the fourth repack. And I am being anxious about all the things that could go wrong before I get to Reno.  I hope the flight isn't delayed. Hope I don´t miss the bus.... Maybe you know how it goes with worries and anxieties. Kind of takes the fun out of traveling but that is my nature. Always has been. (I remember my dad saying to me when I was just in the eighth grade, "If you don't stop worrying so much about your homework I won't LET you go to college.")

I am also staying overnight in Guadalajara instead of getting up in the middle of the night to make the early morning flight. It costs me almost the same to spend the night at the Hotel Tapito and taking the taxi to the airport in the morning as to take the taxi from my house to the airport. I can catch the bus from here to Guadalajara for about two dollars and for another four dollars get the taxi to the airport. From here, it costs me 500 pesos plus tip to get to the airport at the ungodly hour of four am.

Also, in the Guadalajara Reporter this week on the front page, there is an article about a local man who was stopped on that freeway in the night. He thought they wanted his car but they wanted him for ransom. Fortunately, another car came by and he managed to run away. He ran through the fields for a mile and finally got to safety. So I do not relish going on that highway in the dark. There are also cows that stand out on that highway in the night time and the taxi drivers drive very fast.

I am going on a sentimental journey this summer. I am visiting with old friends. People who were central to my life many years ago. I haven't seen any of them for years. It feels like lifetimes ago that they were so important to me . I remember reading that old age is a time to look back on our lives and integrate our life experiences. I don´t know how people can make sense of their lives. Mine has been intense and chaotic.  Lots of things to process.

These last few days have brought into focus all the things that are important to me now. Top of the list is peace. I have a peaceful life here. Okay, there are attempted kidnappings on the highway that I sometimes travel. But I don't know anyplace in the world that doesn't have problems.

It is going to be a very interesting summer for me and I will continue to write on my blog from time to time. Thank you all for your good wishes.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,
    Thank you for sharing so much of your life in Mexico with us. Wishing you safe travels and fun times with friends and family!
    Karen in VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia
    Staying overnight in Guad. sounds like the best plan!
    You are very wise, peace is so important. It is wonderful you have found a peaceful life in Mexico.
    Hope you have a great trip reconnecting with old friends and family.
    Safe travels
    Cathy in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cathy. Nice to see that you are still reading my blog. p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - very insightful and got me thinking. Thank you. Have a wonderful trip. I'm sure you will. I love High Adventure and you seem to be off on one. : ) It's hot here in the Pacific Northwest of late. Close to 100 today and tomorrow. Very unusual June. Enjoy Portland and your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Patricia,
    I've just started reading your blog. I love your reflections on your new life in Mexico. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Mexico (we're currently in the Toronto area) and reading your blog is helping me prepare mentally for what I might expect in the transition to a new culture. Thanks so much for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for commenting. I am glad that my blog has been helpful to you. p

    ReplyDelete