Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving


Two of the main reasons that expats decide to go back to the United States to live are grandchildren and healthcare. Mostly it is the grandmothers who want to watch their grandchildren grow up. Grandfathers are a bit more removed emotionally from that need. But grandmothers want to do more than talk with the kids on skype. They want to hold them and smell their hair and kiss them. Can't do that with Skype. Not now, maybe next year. 

So holidays can be hard on people living away from their families. Friends have to take place of families and sometimes that isn't enough. You can't just go around smelling a friend's hair. Or you could but your action may be misinterpreted. You may have another whole set of problems, especially if your friend is married and the mate has seen your hair smelling behavior. 

The second reason, healthcare. There are wonderful doctors and hospitals In Guadalajara but they are private hospitals and they don't take American insurance. There is one exception that I have recently heard about. I will write about it when I get more information. Most senior citizens have Medicare and it isn't accepted here. So the logical solution is to move back to the United States. Or Canada where they get free healthcare. So the older expats often leave here for reasons of healthcare. 

I have IMSS which is the public insurance program but I would only use it in case of life or death. Like if someone ran over me and I was bleeding to death on the street. I write this because I have been in one of the hospitals and I left to pay for my operation in  a private hospital. I keep it because some operations, even in Mexico, would cost me too much to pay out of my own pocket. 

So let's think of something more pleasant than being run over and bleeding to death on the street. Today is Thanksgiving and therefore a day to think about all the wonderful things in our lives to be thankful for. 

am thankful for being able to live in this beautiful environment and for the Mexican people. They have been so kind to me. I am thankful for my home and my loving animals and my health. And for my family in Portland and my friends here. And for all the people who read my blog and help me through my hard times. The warm weather here. The celebrations going on almost daily year around. (Okay sometimes I am not thankful for all that rocket shooting off) The delicious food here. The low cost of living. The maid who mops my floors. The neighbor children who come out to see me whenever I walk out the door. The inexpensive restaurants. The lake. The plaza. Okay, you get the picture. Now it is your turn to make your list and share your gratitude with your loved ones. After all, nothing is more important than your love for them. Happy Thanksgiving.


Chico and Olive and I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

  1. Laughing at the "smelling people's hair" part. Glad you are still loving your life in Mexico! ...thankful for my family, friends, our 3 dogs from the pound, and the seasons here in Virginia. Not to mention the fact that I can get to several beaches in a couple of hours, but more importantly the mountains in a little over an hour! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Karen in VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy reading your blog and I am thankful you have kept it up and are still posting beautiful pictures..

    ReplyDelete